Sunday, September 2, 2012

Song: "Possibility" by Lykke Li...and some thoughts





"Possibility" is a spell-binding song by Likke Li. I find myself both afraid of it and drawn to it. I can almost smell the old piano in my middleschool auditorium; I can hear and feel the way the notes resonated just a smidge off-pitch through the floor, the chair, and in the air. It was as if I could even taste the stale, long-reposed dreams of all those generations before me. They stood there around that piano, at once the ghostly afterimages of hopeful peers next to those whom they became. Bright faces and life-worn faces - both the parents of my friends. That piano embraced every sense in a way that seemed to me reminiscent of the Evil Queen from Snow White.
Do you hear that? It's the sound of battles fought and lives lost. It once pained me to know that I am the cause of such despair, but now their cries give me strength. Beauty is my power. 
You felt a cool warmth in its lazy death-grip and were repulsed and comforted by its company. You wanted to leave but something in you wanted to stay.

So many feelings come out of this song and the memories and meanderings of the mind it draws. That's why I've always been so fond of it. Like an old gray memory, all  but its taunting penumbra now out of reach; very melancholy, hauntingly mellow.

- ME

No comments:

Post a Comment